Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Hippie outfit

  1. #1
    Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2002
    Posts
    781
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I just got the hippie outfit from ebay for a good price, and it came today. I think that it's pretty cute (actually very cute), but the pants seem a little over the top to me. Is there anyone else here who was age 5 or more in the 60's who thinks that these pants aren't quite historically accurate? It seems to me that the pants would have been jeans and the vest would have been brown suede, not purple. But maybe I'm just remembering through conservative glasses and my own personal taste. I do remember pants with big flowers on them (I had some), but these don't look quite right, especially with this top. The way I remember it, we wore these kinds of clothes, but we still coordinated the colors, where this outfit seems uncoordinated.

    Since this is depicting a Halloween outfit, where kids can just put together whatever they find in the house, maybe that's why it looks just thrown together. What do you think?
    Joy

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ April 28, 2005 07:19 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member likewow's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 6th, 2005
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wasn't around myself, but from pictures I've seen the bellbottoms look more 70's disco-ish to me. But I think you're right - it's supposed to look like a Halloween costume, not an historically accurate outfit. Plus, I doubt a 10-year-old would have been allowed to dress like that anyway! I really hope they *do* make a 60's era historical doll at some point - making the Asian girl we all seem to want would offer a host of interesting story possibilities, but it seems like it's going to be a couple years before we see a new stand-alone (not friend) historical introduced. [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ April 28, 2005 08:55 PM: Message edited by: likewow ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Judy 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2002
    Posts
    41
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I *definitely* think that the pants would have been blue jeans - bell-bottoms, at least when I wore them! (In the late 60s.) The tie dye looks too big and irregular. However, I did have a purple suede vest with long, beaded fringes - I bought it in the East Village in NY, and it was one of my prize possessions. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Judy

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Sakurako's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was in college in the late 60's and had a pretty pair of houndstooth checked bell bottoms and a pair of jeans bellbottoms. That outfit has never looked quite right to me, so I never managed to buy it while it was easily available. The top and the vest are fine, but it would look better with bellbottom jeans. (My fringed suede vest was natural light tan color, btw.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •